Friday, December 5, 2008

Gillian Wearing: The Aftermath


So, our task was to go out and convince the lovely inhabitants of selhurst to come and aid us with our project. Our project being the re-creation of the work of photographer Gillian Wearing. Armed with a camera, a large stack of paper and a marker pen, we headed towards the daunting prospects of talking to people that weren't from school (a nightmare, i know).
In retrospect, it went really well; we emulated the geurilla art aspect of Wearings work to a good degree, and I think this was what made it so good. The range of people we managed to drag in to participate is reflectd well in the answers we got e.g. ''SUZUKI GSXR 1100''...Perhaps standing outside Halfords for participants was not wise, a lot of the answers were vehicle based.
I think that Wearings use of composition, coupled with her subjects, creates impact through a single image. I would hope that we have given justice to the way in which she works, and now I know never to say the line...''Hello, I'm an art student, could I have a few minutes of your time.''

No comments: